How do I unclog a clogged sink drain?
Most household clogs are minor and can be cleared with a little ingenuity and elbow grease.
Remove as much standing water from the sink as possible. Then try these strategies:
- Pour at least a gallon of boiling water into the sink. If it doesn’t work the first time, let
the water cool, scoop it out, and repeat as necessary.
- Pour one half cup of salt down the drain, followed by boiling water. Let it sit and then
flush with hot water.
- Pour one cup of baking soda followed by one cup of white vinegar down the drain. After
the solution stops bubbling, put the stopper in, wait 15 minutes, and flush with hot
- Mix one cup of baking soda with one half cup of salt, and pour it down the drain. Let it
sit for several hours and then flush with boiling water. Repeat as necessary.
- If all else fails, it’s time to use a plunger.